So, I pulled off an epic prank this past week. "suuuuure... I bet it is real epic!" I already can hear it now. How could I possibly be so full of myself!?
Well, I am full of myself and you can just stop complaining now. Let me explain what I hate about the internet.
GOSSIP that isn't true. Yes, those dirty rumors that play on peoples hearts and have so much effect on your life because you worry so damn much about somebody on the other side of the country or even world. So what I did was a little dirty and harsh but seriously.... EPIC PRANK!
I am one of the contributors on The Come Up which is a very popular BMX website that gets around 12-15 thousand visitors a day. And this is where it all begins. I was currently in charge of the website for the week because the head dog was off in Florida getting some sun so I had no way to find out if this rumor was true.
So I wake up and do the typical run through of sites looking for current news and then check the forum on the website. Right up top I read "Edwin broke both legs?" which caught my attention immediately. Edwin DeLarosa is a very popular BMX professional who rides for brands like DC shoes, and Red Bull so you can tell he's a well paid and looked up to rider.
So the rumor goes that he had broke both of his legs dropping a gap at a spot on his bike. Which was very bad news minus the fact that there was no proof behind it and that there was an anonymous kid laughing his ass off behind a computer screen. I immediately got to emailing some bigger dudes, Team managers and such from his sponsors and they all had reported that they talked to him and he was fine and no broken legs, it was all a prank and that he (Edwin) found it halarious and that I should continue the rumor.
So I post up on the main page this photo...
*I photoshopped Edwin's face onto that little boy in a wheelchair, same with the photo of Ashton Kutcher below*..obviously
with a little caption that says it was true, I talked to people and they confirmed it. I even had a very convincing story from a professional videographer claiming he filmed the whole accident and that it was horrible.
It was amazing, I mean how often can you say you played 15,000+ people? I have...
So, I had support to continue the prank, an okay from Edwin to continue it, and people backing it with reputation to say it was true. PERFECT. The post got a little over 120 responses if I remember right. I am usually impressed if I make a post that hits 25 responses so this was a good sign.
I got emails from kids upon kids asking if I had any updates, saying they told all their friends and they were all really upset about what happened..
Success... I knew I had pulled this off. Kids ALL OVER THE WORLD had been freaking out and talking about this rumor that I did not start, but I did keep it alive. PERFECT!...
So the following day I give it a lot of time to set in and just let people continue to talk about it and just let it ride out a bit.. During a posting spree later in the day I post this up with the title of "BTW"..
explaining what the situation was, why rumors are bad, and big thanks to all the people who helped out to continue the prank... IT WAS AMAZING.. within minutes there was 20 responses to the post and either people thought it was hilarious or they were pissed. I loved the reactions..
I ended it, everyone had been informed it was just a prank and that they could continue to live their lives and everything was alright haha.
And that, is how you pull off an epic prank on people.

No comments:
Post a Comment